- Cats and dogs must be neutered or spayed.
- Cats must not be solid black or long haired, be female, and will be declawed.
- Cats and dogs will be evaluated by a veterinarian and all recommended vaccinations will be done.
- Birds will be purchased from a reputable dealer and placed in quarantine for 30 days minimum before allowing bird/resident contact. During this period they will be observed for symptoms of illness such as decreased appetite, shivering, breathing heavily, listlessness, change in the color of droppings and ruffled feathers. If any occur, a veterinarian will be notified immediately.
Care of pets in the facility
- Feeding: All pets will be provided with fresh food and water every day. (See Pet Care Procedure for details)
- Pets will be checked for illness.
- Toileting: Dogs will be taken outdoors on a routine schedule. Cats will have dirty kitty litter scooped. (See Pet Care Procedure for details)
- Outdoor exercise will be provided daily to dogs as weather permits.
- Litter boxes for cats will be kept clean and in good repair with weekly cleaning. They will be replaced when no longer odorfree and/or damaged.
- Dogs will be given baths as necessary to prevent odors.